Job Title: Senior Manager, Corporate Communications and Advocacy
Reports To: VP, Marketing & Communications
Location: Boston, MA
This is an exciting and pivotal time at Albireo. Our lead product candidate is in a Phase 3 clinical trial for a rare, life-threatening pediatric liver disease with no approved pharmacologic options. In addition, we have two product candidates nearing Phase 2 clinical trials, a licensing agreement in Japan that already has generated revenues, an excellent financial position for a pre-launch company and a small team of great people.
With the business advancing and our team growing, Albireo has a unique opportunity for the right person to gain broad commercial experience. As the senior manager of corporate communications and advocacy, you will contribute to strategy and lead execution of corporate communications, branding and patient advocacy. Depending on the needs of the business, and your abilities and interest, you also may gain experience in marketing, investor relations, market research, market access, business development and other areas.
This role is a chance to have a transformative impact on a growing company, gain a diversity of commercial experience and, if successful, have multiple possible pathways for development. As one of the first commercial hires, you will be a critical part of Albireo’s success.
This role reports to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications and is based in Boston, MA. Starting date is flexible.
What makes this role special:
- Seek to have a profound impact on young children and their families
- Potentially be part of the first launch of a medicine for a rare pediatric liver disease
- Work on a portfolio of multiple potential therapies
- Develop strategy, as well as manage execution
- Gain a diversity of commercial experience
- Help shape the culture and future of an emerging biopharma with a big vision
- Collaborate with a small, collegial team of good people
- Learn from leadership with deep experience and a history of success
- Be part of an early biopharma company in an excellent financial position
- Enjoy great work/life balance, including flex hours, ability to work remotely on Friday’s, generous holiday schedule and business-casual work environment
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage communications strategy and tactics, working with external PR, IR and creative partners.
- Develop and drive communications plan, supporting both product and corporate brands.
- Lead product and corporate messaging.
- Design and lead disease awareness campaign
- Plan, develop and orchestrate review of all news releases and related communications.
- Lead and manage commercial aspects of quarterly earnings and annual reports.
- Develop and manage employee communications.
- Own corporate Website, ensuring strategic alignment, and making updates and enhancements.
- Update and enhance all corporate collateral, including messaging, Q&A and corporate presentation.
- Lead patient advocacy.
- Drive and enhance patient advocacy program.
- Communicate regularly with key patient organizations.
- Identify appropriate opportunities for collaboration.
- Organize and execute patient advisory board.
- Develop patient education materials.
- Identify and collaborate with potential patient speakers.
- Arrange and coordinate patient on-site visits to speak with employees.
- Manage grants and charitable giving.
- Attend key patient events.
- Track monthly budget and invoices.
- Desire to be part of a small, dynamic, mission-driven company
- Minimum 3 years of biopharma experience as a top performer in any combination of communications, public relations, patient advocacy, marketing, branding or consulting
- Innate understanding of messaging, tone and approach for difference audiences
- High empathy and strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent project management ability
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- High attention to detail, diligence and reliability
- Strong strategic thinking and ability to identify key dynamics amidst complexity
- Ability to simplify issues and reconcile different points of view
- Knowledge of communications channels, including traditional and social media
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a diverse team
- Vendor management experience
- High level of ability in Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to travel in the U.S. and globally (up to about 10% travel)
- Experience managing corporate branding
- Experience developing and managing corporate and brand websites
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline